Black Gram Beans
Vigna mungo, black gram, urad bean, minapa pappu, mungo bean or black matpe bean is a bean grown in the Indian subcontinent. Like its relative, the mung bean, it has been reclassified from the Phaseolus to the Vigna genus.
It is valued not only due to its hearty ability to grow in challenging conditions, and its widespread availability, but also for its dense mixture of nutrients. Black gram is sold as a complete un-split bean in some regions, or the cracked open variety, showing the white flesh within, making these very recognizable items in the market.
Black gram is used most famously to make dal, but it also plays a large role in many other cultural dishes in India and South Asia. From soups and stews to curries, bread, and side dishes, a black gram is an indispensable part of exotic cuisines. However, a black gram is also rich in nutrients, such as protein, essential minerals, various vitamins, fiber, and antioxidant compounds that can help boost your health in a number of ways.
While these aren’t the most commonly found beans in some areas, you can usually find them around the globe, and you should definitely make them one of your top bean choices! Let’s take a bit of a closer look at the many health benefits of black gram.
Health Benefits of Black gram
1. Black gram can improve your digestion as it is filled with fibers that help with the bulking up and movement of your stool.
2. It boosts your energy by helping provide more oxygenated blood to your organs.
3. It is good for your skin and can help fight dark spots, acne, and marks.
4. It helps with joint pain, is extremely good for the heart, and is also a diuretic that helps keep your body clean.
5. Black gram is also extremely good for your heart health. As it has high quantities of fiber, magnesium, and potassium, it is known to provide multiple benefits that can keep your cardiovascular system healthy.
6. It can balance out your cholesterol, which is extremely good for your heart.
Nutrition FactsServing Size 546 g
Serving Per Container 2
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Less than||Sat Fat||20g||25g|
|Total Carbohydrate||Less than||300g||350g|
|Dietary Fiber||Less than||25g||30g|